The Ghana Police Service is one of the Public Sector Organisations (PSOs) under the Ministry of the Interior. The Ghana Police Service was created by the colonial administration to produce an enabling environment for commerce through the maintenance of law and order as well as the arrest and prosecution of people who fall foul of the laws. After independence the Service received legal backing through the Police Service Act, 1970 (Act 350). Chapter seven of the 1992 Constitution continued to firm up its existence. Administratively, the Service is regimental, headed by the Inspector-General of Police who reports directly to the Minister of the Interior. He is assisted in the day to day administration of the Service by the Schedule Officers and the Regional Commanders.
The key functions of the Service are:
- Prevention and detection of crime,
- Apprehension and prosecution of offenders,
- Maintenance of law and order,
- Protection of life and property.
To protect and preserve internal security of the country through law enforcement.
The Ghana Police Service seeks to become a world class Police Service capable of delivering planned, democratic, protective, and peaceful services up to the standards of international best practice
The mission of the Police Service is to ensure crime prevention and detection, apprehension and prosecution of offenders, consistent with the expectations of Ghanaians for safe, secure and peaceful communities.
In an effort to provide valuable service, the Service is guided by a set of principles which form the foundation of its operational mandate. These are:
- Commitment to personal and professional development of staff at all levels.
- Treatment of all people – offenders, staff and the general public with dignity, respect and understanding.
- Demonstration of professionalism through vigilance, fortitude, integrity, accountability and pride in work.
- Encouraging positive interaction with the public to promote public safety and understanding.
- Zero tolerance for crime and full commitment for human rights
The Service aims at repositioning itself to achieve the following goals:
- Protection of life and Property.
- Investigations, Apprehensions and Prosecutions.
- Human Resource Capacity Building.
- Deepen Governance Culture of the Service.
- Promotion of Accountability in the Service.
Address: The Inspector General of Police,Ghana Police Service,P.O. Box 116, Accra
Tel: +233 302 779300, 302 -773906, +233 302 777428
Emergency No.: 191 (Toll free for all Networks), 18555 (Vodafone/MTN Toll free)
Fax: +233 302 776672