The position of a Chief Director in a Ministry is governed by sections 19 and 20 (1), (2) of the Civil Service Act, 1993 (PNDCL 327).
- A Chief Director of a Ministry is the chief adviser to the Minister on the policies and other matters related to the sector and shall, in relation to the Ministry:
- Provide leadership and guidance for determining policies and objectives within the sector and the implementation of those policies and objectives,
- Co-ordinate work programmes and provide rules, guidelines and procedures to facilitate the achievement of targets set by the Ministry,
- Ensure the effective organisation and development of training programmes consistent with sectoral policies and programmes,
- Establish systems for effective inter-ministerial and sectoral collaboration and co-operation to avoid duplication and to achieve harmonization of programmes,
- Develop systems of effective work-flow and feed-back on the activities within the sector, and
- Initiate plans and programmes to activate and accelerate the decentralization of the relevant sector where required.
- Without prejudice to subsection (1), a Chief Director shall in relation to the Ministry,
- Recommend the disbursement of budgetary allocation in accordance with prevailing financial regulations,
- Recommend leave of absence for Directors and Heads of Organisations as well as ensure the effective organization and co-ordination of leave of absence within the sector,
- Request for action programmes and budget from the implementing agencies,
- Ensure the establishment by the implementing agencies of proper codes of conduct for administrative, financial and operational transactions,
- Recommend major changes in the organisational structures of the implementing agencies,
- Recommend actions involving disposal of capital assets, and
- Ensure the development and enforcement of an effective system of discipline within the sector.
The Chief Director carries out the above responsibilities with the support of the Directorates and Units established under the Ministry. The Directorates are headed by Directors or officers of analogous grades in the Civil Service.